Monday, October 8, 2007

Mrs. Albrecht's Lengthy Explanation for why she dislikes Hallowe’en Stance October 8, 2007

First off - Happy October everyone: Parents, Guardians, Students, Readers! I love October because it has the most beautiful colours I have seen (I tend to favour autumn shades). Autumn also brings to mind hunting season. Yes, I was an ‘avid’ hunter in my Kamloops days. I was also the gal who could shoot bottles off of a fence but, God forbid, aim it at an actual animal? Not a chance!

If your child hasn't already informed you, I am a 'Bah Humbug' Teacher when it comes to celebrating Hallowe’enEven with my blasé attitude towards Hallowe'en, I still can get a good chuckle out of Hallowe'en jokes like this one:

I was not born hating Hallowe’en. Quite the opposite; I loved Hallowe’en as a child and often went out trick or treating (until the ripe ol’ age of 12 when my Mother determined I was officially 'too old').

During my elementary school years I attended friends’ Hallowe’en parties, ate roasted pumpkin seeds, made candy apples, toffee popcorn, and created Hallowe’en themed art. My elementary school (and others throughout the district) NEVER promoted Hallowe'en as a legitimate 'event'; didn't encourage classroom parties; would not accept children arriving at school in full costume, and would not provide Hallowe'en themed learning resources.

The following cartoon is unrelated to Hallowe'en but reminds me of how I would torment younger siblings/relatives at Hallowe'en. I would insist the young 'uns empty their candy bags on to the table so that I could assess and remove any potentially 'tainted' pieces. Of course 'removal' meant I would eat all my favourite candies - from their bags - as soon as their backs were turned. However, I would remind them it was a good thing I was there to save their lives. (Yes, I was the middle child - Christine the trickster.)

Fast forward to teaching. My first Langley placement (grade 7) was a job share with a fabulous male teacher. He showed me how to organize grade seven students into peer leadership groups. The two of us, and our student leadership groups, went on to create a haunted house for the school. The haunted house was simply the classroom partitioned off like a rat's maze, completely darkened except for some strategic lighting, and various props strewn about. The final result (courtesy of childrens' vivid imaginations) was a spectacular and spooky winding path that led you past a graveyard, a Frankenstein, and other ghouls and goblins (with some even moving). In lieu of having to pay a set price of $1.00, visitors could set their own price and all proceeds went to UNICEF (after materials costs. AND... I started to soften my negative stance regarding Hallowe'en. My relaxed attitude was short lived.

A small group of 'visitors' decided to preview our haunted house to determine how scary it would be for the younger students. The group began to enter, and then they stopped. They didn't even attempt to see beyond our Frankenstein greeter, nor did they care to listen to our explanations (ie: that we keep the lights on for grades 2 and under - and for some of the older ones). I was approached by the group and severely reprimanded for my poor decision in letting the grade sevens partake in such an acitivity. I was indirectly compared to a devil worshiper and the more this group ranted about the haunted house set up, the more I vowed never again. As well, that particular group of adults taught me the importance of acquiring knowledge and making good choices rather than living with self-imposed ignorance. (Remember, this group had directed all of these accusations against my jobshare teacher and me without even looking in the room or at any of the props.

After this unfortunate experience, I simply ignored Hallowe'en at school which was relatively easy because none of the schools I taught in acknowledged Hallowe'en. Occasionally Hallowe'en would be suggested as a potential activity/fun event for students but fiercely objected as it was deemed immoral, evil, teaching students the wrong values, etc. I respect everyone's right to personal/moral/religious views, so I dismissed all Hallowe'en associations from my classroom except when I (quietly and only at home) continued with my personal Hallowe’en observances. Albrecht's Family Traditions: ... Hmm, how many children can I fit into my bubbling cauldron, along with my homemade pickled frogs' brains, and eyes of newts? 0h so many darn recipe adjustments! Well, perhaps if I remove the kids' heads and feet? Darn - No? How about removing the frogs' heads and feet? That's it! ).

Imagine my surprise when I came to Willoughby and discovered that not only was Hallowe'en openly celebrated, the school's population (especially teachers) were encouraged to dress up. I've chosen not to dress up as I still respect the percentage of families opposed to the custom. As well, there will always be students who do not want to (or are unable to) dress up in costumes. (An observation - adults are scary enough to small children without putting them in bizarre makeup and clothing. Sheesh, talk about traumatizing the wee ones.)

So mean ol’ Mrs. Albrecht will NOT be having a Hallowe’en party this year or any other year to come. Students may dress up (as per school expectation) or not, and students may share a classroom treat if they wish. But PLEASE do not ask me to organize a Hallowe'en party for the class. I will not set aside a couple of hours for children to play games, sings songs, binge on sugary treats, and participate in Hallowe'en themed events especially for a day that is not even recognized as a 'proper' holiday or event. The day will keep its educational focus, just as any other.

Wow, this was a long post/rant. I hope that my entry will answer any question you may have about my lack of enthusiasm for Hallowe'en. And if this post has only served to leave you with even more questions for me... the classroom door is always open and you are welcome to drop in at any time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the part when ur mom says no more halloween hehe see you on weds. from ur student someone u'll find out.